Word and Excel are not Requirement Tools
Multi-dimensional structuring for process control and reuse
- Information is only available in one place and context.
- Reuse is only possible using copies of existing information
- Spreadsheets and document are the only way of providing structure for data
- No user- or task-based sorting or filtering possible (at least in MS Word, and error-prone in MS Excel)
Lack of control and audit trail
- Who can create or change requirements/attributes/links?
- Who made changes to existing data? When and why?
- Which information can be related to other information?
- Documents can have multiple versions (if managed manually, but not the information within the documents.
- Change analysis for requirements is impossible
- There is no history of changes
- Traceability is only, in best case, a field or text letting you know the requirements relationships
- There is no way to follow these traces, nor get metrics, reports, perform impact analysis, etc.
- Traces need to be supported manually
- There are no traces with other tools
Concurrent access / Multiple users
- When a document is opened by an user, it is fully blocked. There is no way for another user to modify the document while another have it open
- There are no different access rights on requirements/attributes/etc.
Metrics, reports, dashboards
- Apart from counting pages and words, there are no metrics