The Most Complete Guide to Requirements Management and Traceability
Top 10 Requirements Management Tools and Softwares for 2023 | Pros and Cons
Table of Contents
In order to ensure the success of your project, it is important to have a Requirements Management Tool in place. This tool will help you control the scope of the project and keep it on track. There are many tools available in the market, but which one is right for you? In this blog post, we will discuss the best Requirements Management Tools and Softwares along with their pros and cons.
Let us start by understanding what the requirements are?
Requirements can be defined as the characteristics that a system must possess to deliver value to the customer or stakeholder. Requirements can be functional, such as “The system shall allow the user to login” or non-functional, such as “The system shall be secure”.
What is Requirements Management?
According to Ian Sommerville, “Requirements management is managing changing requirements during the requirements engineering process and system development.”
Requirements Management is the process of eliciting, analyzing, documenting, and tracking requirements. It ensures that the right requirements are captured and that they are traceable throughout the project lifecycle.
The major purpose of requirement management is to ensure clear, concise, and error-free requirement fulfillment for the engineering team so that they can make sure to detect errors in the system and potentially reduce the project cost as well as risk.
What are Requirements Management Tools?
Traditionally, the requirements were captured manually with the help of spreadsheets. But nowadays, many tools in the market will do the work for you.
The requirements management tool is a tool that acts as a repository for the development teams of the product. It ensures that all the teams are on the same page with the requirements as they move further and start to evaluate where they stand at a given point of time in the process.
Requirement management tools help the development teams by enhancing their speed of delivery, reducing the cost of production, and improving productivity as they capture everything from fundamental knowledge to real-time regulatory compliance standards.
The major benefits of implementing these tools include:
- Greater effectiveness in project management and adding accuracy to the project controlling.
- Increasing and maintaining traceability on all levels
- Increased efficient re-use and product-line management
- Higher ability to create baselines
- Improved knowledge of project scope to the stakeholders.
Best Requirements Management Tools & Software | Pros & Cons
Visure Requirements ALM Platform –Visure is one of the most trusted requirements management platforms that specialize in requirements management for organizations of all sizes across the globe. The major partners of Visure include business-critical and safety-critical companies. The company integrates through the whole Application Lifecycle Management processes including risk management, issue and defect tracking, traceability management, change management, and various other areas like quality analysis, requirements versioning, and powerful reporting.
- Standards – Visure offers pre-built templates for you as a starting point based on various important standards such as ISO 26262, IEC 62304, IEC 61508, CENELEC 50128, DO-178B/C, FMEA, SPICE, CMMI, etc. This saves a lot of time for our customers when they want to start fresh and have to comply with some standards. These templates are customizable and can be changed according to one’s requirements.
- Traceability – Visure also helps you in maintaining full traceability between your system and all the software requirements, risks, tests, and other artifacts. Furthermore, Visure assists you in generating full traceability reports as well.
- Better Collaboration – Visure offers customizable user interfaces on the basis of the project you are working on. All the information is properly organized on these interfaces allowing all the individuals to work together while remaining on the same page.
- Integration – Visure supports XML-based standards, like ReqIF and XRI, that help us in exchanging requirements between various different customers and suppliers.
- Security – Visure ensures proper security of information and requirements. We do this through our rigorous access policy where only certain people can access the artifacts even at the elementary level.
- Quality Analysis – Visure’s Quality Analyzer allows you to perform a semantic analysis of the requirements to identify the quality of the requirements. Therefore, it becomes easier to prevent the requirements from moving to the next phase in the development cycle.
- Data Models – Visure supports many development processes like Agile, V-model, etc. At Visure, we ensure to analyze the specific problems that are inherent in business models and provide a solutional data model for each specific need. These data models are customizable to relate to the client’s internal processes and can be enforced as required.
- Free Trial – Visure offers a free 30-day trial that can be downloaded from the website itself. Other details about pricing and demo can be found on Visure’s website.
- If you’re currently working on a very short-term project with no cross-project impact, they you might be better off getting a lightweight tool like Jira.
- If you are currently working on an IT project with no criticality, perhaps this is not the tool you will be looking for.
IBM DOORS –IBM DOORS is one of the oldest requirements management tools in today’s market. The best thing IBM offers is great compatibility with other tools in the field. IBM offers flexible solutions suitable for large-scale enterprises along with high-level granularity and configurability.
- Compliance – IBM helps manage full traceability across the entire product development lifecycle in accordance with various compliant standards.
- Easy Operations – IBM allows you to easily create baselines, track versioning when detailed requirements are involved, and interlink the change requests directly to the initial documents.
- Collaboration – IBM works to provide solutions for better collaboration, automation, and reporting in accordance with the needs of various standards.
- The interface is quite outdated and dull.
- Importing images, pdfs, and text files can be a pain sometimes.
- Does not offer integration outside the IBM technology ecosystem making it difficult to adapt to other tools.
- Too expensive for small or medium organizations.
Helix ALM –Helix is a known requirement management tool in the aerospace market. Helix helps in developing quality airborne systems while ensuring complete safety and compliance with the standards.
- Test Management – Helix helps you create various test cases based on your requirements. You can also generate test runs based on the test cases.
- Fits Everywhere – Helix is a flexible tool that fits in all kinds of small as well as complex processes making it easy to use.
- Reports and Bugs – Helix captures all the test reports and bug reports in one place and also provides a time-to-time update for keeping the application up to date.
- Importing and exporting items from MS Excel or Word can be a bit clumsy.
- Test Run system is not quite adaptable for mechanical testing.
- Report creation is poor.
- Helix does not support Scrum methodology either.
Siemens Polarion –Polarion is another Requirements Management tool in the aerospace and defense industry. Polarion is highly admired for saving time and effort, improving quality, and ensuring safety for complex systems.
- End-To-End Traceability – Polarion guarantees end-to-end traceability between all the requirements and test cases ensuring the requirements and test cases are mapped to each other properly.
- Easy Import/Export – Polarion’s traditional features like versioning, dashboards, and an open API are what make it stand out in the crowd. The import-export of information on Polarion is pretty easy and intuitive.
- Real-time Reporting – Polarion allows you to generate real-time reports and export them in different formats like PDFs. These reports are sharable via various different mediums.
- People criticize Polarion for using an unfitting interface design and icons.
- Also, Polarion does not offer any free trial or free version to try out the product before actually paying for it.
Jira –Jira is an Application Lifecycle Management tool, by Atlassian, in the market. Jira is majorly used by the Agile teams to plan and track the project along with the corresponding issues. People primarily prefer using Jira for bug and issue tracking on software and applications that are being developed.
- Agile People – Jira is a tool best suited for agile teams. The tool is equipped with all the features necessary for an agile team.
- Fits In All Requirements – Jira can be easily customized to fit any kind of requirement. You can add and remove fields, create custom workflows, etc. as per your need.
- Issue & Bug Tracking – Jira offers excellent issue & bug tracking features. You can track all the issues and bugs in one place and also generate reports for the same.
- Integration – Jira offers great integration capabilities. It integrates well with a lot of other tools like Bitbucket, Hipchat, etc.
- Jira can be quite overwhelming for first-time users because of its complex interface.
- Also, Jira is not a requirement management tool per se and lacks some features like impact analysis, versioning, etc. that are crucial for Requirements Management.
- Jira is not very user-friendly for non-technical people. The learning curve for Jira is quite steep.
- Jira does not offer a free trial or free version.
CodeBeamer –CodeBeamer is a tailor-made ALM tool by Intland Software for advanced products and software development. This tool comes up with pre-configured templates and compliance for Agile and DevOps-oriented organizations. CodeBeamer is known to be quite flexible and a highly configurable tool.
- Flexibility – CodeBeamer is a highly flexible tool that can be adapted to any kind of development process.
- Pre-configured Templates – CodeBeamer comes with pre-configured templates for various compliance requirements like ISO 26262, DO-178C, IEC 62304, etc.
- Compliance Requirements – CodeBeamer is compliant with various requirements like Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), FDA, and GAMP.
- CodeBeamer does not have a free trial or free version.
- The tool can be quite complex and overwhelming for first-time users.
- CodeBeamer is a paid tool and can be quite expensive for small organizations.
Rational Requirements Composer –Rational Requirements Composer is a tool by IBM for Requirements Management. This tool helps you capture, author, trace, review & manage your requirements easily and efficiently.
- Ease Of Use – Rational Requirements Composer is very easy to use and has a user-friendly interface.
- Integration – Rational Requirements Composer integrates well with various other tools like IBM DOORS, Jazz, and others.
- Authoring Requirements – Rational Requirements Composer helps you capture and author requirements easily. It also has features like automatic numbering, spell check, etc.
- Rational Requirements Composer is a paid tool and can be quite expensive for small organizations.
- The tool lacks some features like visual modeling, Requirements Lifecycle Management, etc.
- Rational Requirements Composer does not have a free trial or free version.
ReqView –ReqView is an all-in-one Requirements Management tool that helps you capture, author, trace, review & manage your requirements easily and efficiently.
- Ease Of Use – ReqView is very easy to use and has a user-friendly interface.
- Integration – ReqView integrates well with various other tools like Jira, confluence, etc.
- Authoring Requirements – ReqView helps you capture and author requirements easily. It also has features like automatic numbering, spell check, etc.
- ReqView is not a free tool and can be quite expensive for small organizations.
- The tool lacks some features like Requirements Lifecycle Management, visual modeling, etc.
Jama Software –Jama Software is a Requirements Management tool that helps organizations accelerate product development. Jama Software helps you manage your requirements, track progress & collaborate with others easily.
- Traceability – Jama Software helps you trace requirements and track progress easily. Jama enables live traceability across all requirements, test cases, and items, making it easier to understand the impact of change, navigate upstream and downstream relationships, and filter and export product-specific views.
- Collaboration – Jama Software allows easy collaboration between different stakeholders. Jama Connect makes real-time collaboration effortless by allowing users to see not only who is directly connected but also who is indirectly connected through related items.
- Test Management – Jama Connect has full manual testing capabilities tied right into the product-development process, which enables teams to evaluate every stage from concept to test.
- Jama Software is a paid tool and can be quite expensive for small organizations.
- The tool lacks some features like Requirements Lifecycle Management, automatic numbering, etc.
- Jama Software does not have a free trial or free version.
Modern Requirements –Modern Requirements is a Requirements Management tool that helps you capture, author, trace, review & manage your requirements easily and efficiently.
- Ease Of Use – Modern Requirements is very easy to use and has a user-friendly interface.
- Integration – Modern Requirements integrates well with various other tools like Jira, confluence, etc.
- Authoring Requirements – Modern Requirements help you capture and author requirements easily. It also has features like automatic numbering, spells check, etc.
- Modern Requirements is not a free tool and can be quite expensive for small organizations.
- The tool lacks some features like Requirements Lifecycle Management, visual modeling, etc.
Requirements management is a process of understanding and documenting the needs of a customer or client in order to deliver a product that satisfies those needs. It can be an extremely complex and challenging process, but with the right tools, it can be made much easier. In this article, we’ve looked at 10 different requirements management tools and their pros and cons. Hopefully, this will help you make an informed decision about which tool is best for your business. If you’re still not sure which tool is right for you, we offer a free 30-day trial of our own Visure Requirements ALM Platform. We hope you find the perfect requirements management tool for your business from this list of best requirements management tools and softwares and that it helps you achieve success!
So these were some of the best Requirements Management tools available in the market. Choose the one that best suits your needs and requirements.
Happy Requirements Managing!
Don’t forget to share this post!